The aloha spirit and the concept of ohana are not mere words to us, they mean that we care for other each including those we don't know.
~ Linda Lingle

25 October 2011

Occultary



About a week ago I posted a few pictures on my Facebook page of jewelry items I havefinished and jewelry items that I would be posting on etsy.  One of these items, the Occultary necklace, I made a note saying I would be doing a blog post on - and this is something I plan to continue doing with pieces.  I feel that it is a way for you to connect not only with me but with the pieces I make.

While the name is a little strange (it makes you like of witches and the like doesn't it?  It's okay to admit, it makes me think of them too) I feel that for right now it fits.  Although, as I said on Facebook, I am open to suggestions for a new name.

I have always been intrigued by Catholicism, the beauty and ceremony of it all.  While I am not a Catholic in any respect, I have known a few, as well as gone to a few Masses (is that the proper way to pluralize Mass?  Either way, I think you know what I mean).  And while I could do without all the kneeling and standing and the kneeling and the standing, the idea of Catholicism and it's rituals is quite interesting to me (for those of you who do not know me, I am a United Methodist but I am always interested in learning about new religions and learning new things about religion.

As I mentioned earlier, I do not yet have an official name for this necklace, so for now it is going to be known as the Occultary.  The bead I used remind me of rosary beads, but the charm is obviously not a cross, so I feel it would be sort of sacrilegious to call it a rosary.  Instead I found the Latin word for hidden/secret (Occulta) and mashed that with the end of rosary, and TA-DA! Occultary.  And while this necklace is not quite done, I think it is a good reminder that while religion is important, as it what it represents and means to each of us, it is also important to remember that there are somethings we keep hidden from everyone (and some that we try to keep hidden).  I think that this necklace will take on a more rosary-esque look before it is put up for sale, but I like it is not a bad prototype.




As I mentioned before, I hope to make this type of entry a reoccurring thing because I put a bit of my soul into everything I make but especially into my jewelry.  I hope that you realize that by buying something from me you are not only confirming to me that the treasures I make are worth people spending their hard earned money on, but it also is a way for me to share a piece of myself with you  .  It is a way for me to spread the aloha and keep it going.  So please consider going to my etsy shop and purchasing something.  I have so many ideas and things I want to try, but I need to replenish the funds before I can do that.  Or tell your friends (you can share/suggest my facebook page to friends) or better yet, you can always special order something to give someone as a gift.  



Love and aloha to you,

amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment